May 27, 2015

Perks of Meal Planning

Long time no post - but all is great here!  Spring continues to be filled with laughter, hockey, and an Eastern Conference Championship for the Cavaliers!  Family is happy, healthy, with an exciting summer ahead of us and I couldn't be happier.  It's been a great year!
 
During the last 2 weeks I've lived 100% on a meal plan and I'm LOVING it.  I have lost 4 pounds during the two weeks which is another perk- truly- all I've done is cut out all fast food, all soda, and then have focused on making my own meals.
 
Here's what has worked for me:
 
1) I plan my meals for the week - huge shout out to my friend Stef who helped me here w/her awesome template!  I try to think of 3 to 4 dinners that will result in leftovers for the next day's lunch.  I also factor-in nights when I'll eat at my boyfriend's, family dinners, etc.  Basically, I go into the week with a plan.  Not everything is homemade, i.e. I usually have frozen waffles for breakfast
 
2) I try to do just one day of food shopping - Each Saturday, I visit the Farmer's Market and stock-up on fruits, veggies, and frozen pasta.  One note on this- I only purchase from fruit/vegetable stands that advertise their support of WIC or EBT - everyone should have access to fresh produce and I support farmer's that advertise and welcome WIC or EBT holders (in fact, I only support those farmers! lol).  After the Farmer's Market, I'll go to the grocery store for the other items I need for that week.
 
 

 
3) I make delicious food - Seriously, meal planning is so much easier when you make yummy dinners!!  A cavatelli bake, the world's best chicken fingers, and spinach pasta w/pesto are the winners so far.  Best part is that all three of these meals result in excellent leftovers and lunch the next day.
 



Here are the recipes I've used - they are really awesome:
- Cavatelli bake - http://www.food.com/recipe/baked-cavatelli-252171
- Chicken tenders - http://www.raisehealthyeaters.com/2013/05/worlds-best-chicken-tender-recipe/
- Pesto recipe for spinach pasta- http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pesto/

If you meal plan and it works for you- I'd love to hear more.  Promise to post more soon- I love this little space and need to come back to it more often!!

xoxoxox, Love- Madeleine

No comments:

Post a Comment